Followers

Monday, 27 February 2017

Lacey May

A vessel so beautiful, sail loves’ sea;
Exploring life, compassed paternally.
All hands on deck, on the wind ride
Our accolade of immeasurable pride.

Hear distant land, a voyage is on way;
Baby in hammock to dock in your bay.
Alight the stars, wise maps of vision 
Guide our uncharted nucleus fission.

A channel opened, man the life boats,
As what was sunk before now floats.
Raise the ensign, fifes and drums play,
A lullaby tune and beat for Lacy May.

A memorable day, 31/10/09, to meet,
Our now anchored pride of our fleet.
She now rests, harboured in her cot
From the pains of labour best forgot.

But let’s not forget the muster cries
From her lips as she opened her eyes;
A bountiful treasure indeed to behold 
Worth more than any sovereigns’ gold.

A quart of rum to wet Lacy‘s head:
Fill your barrels and shoot your lead,
In celebration to the cute baby seen 
Be you deckhand, sailor or marine.

Kenzie, the cabin-boy, a sibling today,
Sits in the crow’s nest leading the way:
A silhouette on the horizon to enjoy 
A son, a brother, and a Pinocchio toy.

Nine months adrift, plot the navigation
To Blighty’s shores free from separation.
The moon guides her in upon its tide 
This new vessel of immeasurable pride.


© Andrew Stevenson 1/9/10

 
Lacy May Glossary

Lacey May is my Granddaughter.

The first stanza denotes my daughter, the mother of Lacy May.

The phrase uncharted nucleus fission on the last line of the second stanza, is expressing that until the child is born, we dont know entirely what to expect, especially with the assimilation of two genetic codes (mother and father), which explains nucleus, which is also a very similar word to nuclear, which is where fission is derived, which is as yet mostly a nuclear physics enigma.

The seventh stanza expresses in part that a new born child cannot see very clearly, so images may seem to be silhouettes on the horizon.

The word Blighty in the eighth stanza, is an archaic naval word meaning Britain. I deliberately repeated vessel of immeasurable pride within this quatrain.

Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

 

8 comments:

  1. Very much like the structure and rhythm of this poem. The treatment of life as a journey is still the optimum comparison. I note that you are not averse to repeating some poems, which is clever, and you still retain your admiration for Madame Cole. Very good taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome my dear friend. I've been denied the use of blogger for years now, it said on my computer I needed cookies to continue! I've just got on chrome, and I'm able to access blogger again! I've got plenty of new poems to publish, but I have my favourites! Sorry if you've read them before!

      Thanks for your kind comment, I greatly appreciate it. Hope to hear from you again soon. Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

      Delete
  2. A beautiful and loving tribute, to your granddaughter, Andrew, may her life, always be filled with love and wonder.

    Sorry, about the length of time, it took to reply back, to the love, you share, with your review of my poem, "My Salvation".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. She is one of the loves of my life! Love love, Andrew. Bye.

      Delete
  3. How happy your granddaughter will be when she grows up and realises that this beautiful poem was written about her, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. My daughter has it framed in her room. Thank you for your kind comment. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

      Delete
  4. Lovely x love you with all are hearts xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you all too with all my heart. Thank you. Love love, Dad. Bye.

      Delete